1. 0 (Sp/S/F) Go for a walk. Sometimes the best things in life really are free. The best outdoors date I have ever had was spent walking the trails of the Kinsmen park, throwing a frisbee around in the park, and then eating fruit we had packed for the afternoon. A good date doesn’t need outrageous adventure or fancy dinners. It just needs good company. With over 160+km of trails in our river valley, find one near you and take your date for a walk or hang out in a park!
2. $ (Sp/S) 104 St Market and Dauphine Bakery and Bistro. Morning dates are way too undervalued. There are few greater atmospheres than that of our City Centre market on a sunny Saturday morning. Stroll the 104st market downtown and then stop by Dauphine for a treat to end the morning (hint: the lemon curd tart is incredible!).
3. $$ (A) Rock climbing at vertically inclined. It’s a great adventurous date to challenge you and your partner!
4. $$$ (W) Snowboarding/ski lessons at Rabbit Hill. If you’ve never been before, why not try something new, it’s not the world’s biggest ski hill but it’s close enough to make it a fun “field trip.”
5. $ (A) Shoot pool at Metro, because… who doesn’t like to feel like James Dean shooting pool and getting a beer?
5. 0 (S) Alberta legislature grounds. From Victoria Day weekend until the end of summer the legislature grounds come to life with waders, swimmers, and picnic partakers. On a warm afternoon it is so much fun talking, wading in the pools, setting up a picnic on the leg grounds, and maybe even buying an ice cream! And in the winter? The holiday lights on all the trees make it a gorgeous late night walk in the snow!
6. $$ (S) Whitemud amusement park. With only one more season left, the Whitemud Amusement Park, a staple of my childhood, will be shutting down to make room for the new LRT expansion. Before it closes take your date for a fun day of batting cages, bumper boats, and go carting!
7. $ (A) Old Strathcona farmers’ market and Block 1912. If the downtown market is too far, try the Strathcona market on for size. Even if you’ve been there a million times, when you go there with a date you’re bound so see some things you’d never seen before. When you want to get away from the crowds take a seat at Block 1912, take a seat on their oversized comfy couches, get some gelato if it’s a hot day or a coffee if it’s cold out.
8. $ (Sp/S) Driving range. Whether you’re a semi pro golfer or you look like you have difficulty distinguishing between a baseball bat and a golf club (*cough* me *cough*) this is a great way to pass the afternoon with someone. Just one of many in and around the city, Victoria Golf course is set in the heart of the valley and would be an awesome date spot!
9. $ (W) Ice skating. Edmonton may be at it’s fall best right now but we all know that this dream will come to an end sooner than we expect and we will go back to the eight months of winter that invade our city. Lacing up a pair of skates is a fun way to embrace the winter and enjoy the outdoors our city has to offer.
10. $ (A) Salsa night at On The Rocks. It doesn’t matter if you have two left feet or you’re a dancing wiz. Salsa night is so much fun. If you come at 8:00pm and pay $5 for cover there is a half hour dance lesson and then you can take your newfound dancing feet for a test drive while they play salsa music all night and the room fills with dance lovers!