1. $$$$ (A) Glass of wine at a downtown wine bar like Lit, Tzin, or Moriarty’s. In January I went on one of the greatest dates of my life. It was a freezing snowy January night and my date and I sat at the bar at Niche downtown. We each ordered a glass of wine and ordered a cheese board with charcuterie, and in a space so intimate, even with the restaurant packed, we were able to have a phenomenal date. It helps my date was with one of the most incredible men I have ever met, but that, paired with Otis Redding’s voice crooning over the crowd (their bartender has amazing taste in music), and the amazing wine, I could not have imagined a more perfect night.
5. $-$$$$ (A) There are so many great places for sushi in #YEG I had to call in the experts. After consulting the great Facebook my colleague and fellow Wanderer Dongwoo Kim said “Wasabi if you’ve got the budget. Kabuki I go for things other than sushi. Maki Maki if you’re drunk and craving sushi+pho. If you’re cheap and hungry, go for Zen all-you-can eat sushi (two locations: one in north of downtown, the other slightly off Whyte Ave).”
6. $$$ (A) Cavern, a chameleon fromagerie, wine bar, deli, is a great small business newly opened on 104st, that is perfect to stop at for a Saturday afternoon snack or evening drink.
7. $$$$ (A) Fancy Supper at Zinc, Corso 32, Hardware Grill, The Makk, or Canteen. While this one might be out of reach for some, it can be fun to dress up and splurge once in a blue moon! Having worked in Edmonton’s service industry for years I’m biased, but I think we have some incredible culinary talent!
8. $$ (A) For a less expensive but equally indulgent date, try La Poutine. Go for a walk across the high level bridge and stop in here for lunch or supper. They have so many different choices this is always a fun comfort food date.
9. $$ (A) Craft beers at 3 Boars, Craft, Cask and Barrel, or The Underground. If you feel like grabbing a beer but you want to make things more interesting Edmonton has some pretty cool spots to try out all sorts of interesting craft beers.
10. 0 (S/F/S…W for the brave) Walk whyte avenue! There are so many places to stop in for food or a drink, or to check out some new or used books, walking 82nd Ave can be a lot of fun.
11. $$$ (A) The Common is a great stop for a night of dancing and good food.