1. 0 (A) The University Observatory. During the school year, the University of Alberta’s Observatory is open for both solar, and lunar viewings when the skies are clear. This one is on my “bucket list” dates, maybe because I was convinced for the first ten years of my life that I was destined to be an astronaut, and maybe because I’m a bit of a romantic, but I can’t think of a better conversation starter than a trip to the observatory. You could even combine this with the coffee date and walk from Transcend’s Garneau location, to the University campus with your coffees!
3. $$ (A) Telus World of Science, with amazing exhibitions like Body Worlds, and the IMAX screen, this makes a great adventurous learning date.
4. $$ (S) Ted X lecture, and no, I don’t mean camping out on the couch and cruising the TedX YouTube videos for hours. Edmonton hosts its very own TedX lecture series!
6. $$ (A) Slam poetry is one of the most beautiful performance arts out there combining theatre and poetry check out slam poetry on Tuesday nights at Rose Lounge, some of the most talented poets in Canada have performed here, including our very own poet laureate, Mary Pinkoski.
7. $$ (F/W) Nerd Night at The Club (Rice Theatre of The Citadel) is a great way to have an engaging and run date.
8. $$ (A) Thought the Princess and Garneau were cool? Go to a small theatre show at The Roxy. Support local talent, see some amazing theatre in a great venue!
9. 0 (A) Try the gallery walk down Jasper Ave, right before it turns into 124th St has several Art Galleries you can go in and check out for free.
10. $ (A) Music Trivia Night at On The Rocks is a a great date night. You could grab a drink, or you could grab a drink and test yours and your dates’ music trivia prowess. All that random Tragically Hip information you’ve got floating around in your head that will never be useful at work will finally pay off!
11. $$ (A) Arcade dates are not my first choice, but I’ve got lots of friends who insisted this be included on the list. Challenge your date to a friendly match of Wack-a-Mole, or Pinball, and collect your prizes at the end!