Last week, our team at The Wanderer Online announced upcoming changes to the magazine, indicating that we will soon be opening editorial applications to the public. This morning, we’re excited to announce that we are officially opening up the application process for editorial roles, for positions such as Design Editor, Associate Editor, Politics Editor and so on.
If you’re a University of Alberta student or recent graduate (young professional) who cares about Edmonton’s direction as a global city, we strongly encourage you to apply. The unique one-year experience as an Editor will provide you with the opportunity to work with a diverse team, the chance to connect with leaders of all ages across the city and emerge with larger networks. As Edmonton grows and diversifies as one of Canada’s leading cities, this is an opportune time to join a media outlet twice recognized as Yeggies “Best in Edmonton” finalist.
Our application process details are as follows, and we encourage you to send any questions you have to email@example.com.
Application material required: resume (2 page maximum), one-page letter of intent, names and contact information for two personal references and two writing samples (together totalling no more than 2 pages); all formatted as pdf documents. For Photography and Design Editor applicants: in lieu of writing samples please provide us with a brief but accurate representation of your work whether that be a collection of photographs, websites, or other materials.
Submission deadline: Materials are to be submitted to incoming Editor-in-Chief Blue Knox (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, June 20th at 11:59 MT.
Application process: only individuals with suitable applications will be contacted for interviews, which will take place the week of June 23rd. If you’re out of town, Emerson and Blue will arrange a Skype interview.
Length of editorial term: The Wanderer‘s incoming Editors will serve a term beginning on July 1 2014 and concluding on June 30 2015.
Editorial positions: All positions are volunteer and are approximately 10 hour per week commitment. The Wanderer Editors work together to recruit and work with a network of over 70 writers, write content, edit content written for their sections, as well as coordinate with external organisations pertaining to their concentrations. Our team is seeking to fulfill the following roles:
- Two (2) Associate Editors: editors provide strategic direction and coordination for The Wanderer, report to the Editor-in-Chief and provide both written article contributions and ideas for large-scale projects/initiatives.
- Culture Editor: covers Edmonton’s vibrant cultural scene, from local fashion, to theatre, to ballet and other arts events, and coordinate with local cultural institutions.
- Politics Editor: provides insightful commentary on political issues at both the university and municipal levels.
- Business Editor: provides and edits content pertaining to Edmonton’s diverse business community, as well as create and oversee projects, such as the Spotlight on Small Business Series.
- Education Editor: leads Wanderer commentary and initiatives related to educational issues at university and city-wide levels, such as the recent Education Visionaries series.
- Design Editor: ensures that The Wanderer maintains a compelling visual presence, working closely with the EIC, Associate Editors and Photography Editor.
- Photography Editor: ensures that The Wanderer‘s individual article images align with the magazine’s commitment to beautiful design.
- iWander Editor: provides commentary and edits work on miscellaneous topics and thought-provoking opinion pieces not covered by Politics, Culture and Sports Editors.
We thank you for your time and consideration, we are looking forward to receiving your submission!