SPEND SOME TIME IN THE BUTTERDOME or on the Foote Field track, and you’ll eventually cross paths with Goran Miletic. Just make sure not to get in his way; he can run, and he is fast. While not leading the Golden Bears in the relay or on road trips, Miletic doubles as the President-elect of the University Athletics Board, the representative body of varsity athletes on campus. And on top of that, Miletic maintains a keen sense of style. It’s this blend of fashion savvy, athletic prowess and a cutting sense of humour that makes Miletic the focal point of our first Proust Questionnaire.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Travelling the world for the sole purpose of running.
2. What is your greatest fear? Turning old before my friends.
3. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? “Oh geeze” or “I need to relax.”
4. What or who is the greatest love of your life? My family, and when they’re too far away, my iPhone.
5. When and where were you happiest? Any one of my trips to Europe, particularly Paris.
6. Which talent would you most like to have? I’d like to be fluent in more languages. That, or read minds.
7. Which historical figure do you most identify with? I honestly can’t say; I tend not to look at the past in reference to my present, but I am a big fan of Erik Martin.
8. What is your current state of mind? Anxious and a little dejected.
9. Which living person do you most admire? I truly admire Novak Djokovic – he has a dream life!
10. What do you consider your greatest achievement? I’ve achieved quite a lot in this short time but I haven’t considered anything to be a huge achievement just yet… wait for it.
11. Where would you like to live? MONACO!
12. If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be? A yacht.
13. If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be? Myself, only seven years ago, knowing what I know now.
14. What is your favourite occupation? If we’re talking future tense, I’d like to work as part of the Olympic Committee.
15. What is your most treasured possession? My health.
16. What is your most marked characteristic? Having a tasteful hubris.
17. On what occasion do you lie? In times when I’m sick. I’ll never admit it.
18. What is your favourite journey? A journey to an international destination. I also love airports.
19. Who are your favourite writers? Christopher Hitchens, so far… Not that I’m atheist.
20. What is the quality you most like in a woman? Confidence. That, or a sense of style.
21. What is the quality you most like in a man? Strong principles or a strong mustache.
22. What is it that you most dislike? People who take pleasure in their ignorance.
23. How would you like to die? Not happening. I’m cryogenically freezing myself.
24. What is your motto? “Nothing will work unless you do.”
The photographer of the image above, Christopher Buffi, is an Education grad from the University of Alberta and former member of the Green and Gold Track and Field Team. His interests include photography, track and volleyball. Fixie rider: if it’s not a fixed gear it’s not a bike.